When Tiffany of Simply for One nominated my blog for the Liebster Award last week, I was humbled and grateful for this sweet friend’s encouragement. I have followed Tiffany’s posts for several months now, and I love her ability to bring fresh perspective and illuminate common subjects in a new way.
The Liebster Award is an award given by bloggers for bloggers. It helps draw attention to relatively new blogs and is a great way to introduce readers to quality writing and sites that they may not have discovered yet.
Liebster is a German word which means dearest, sweetest, kindest, lovely, and valued. I am honored that a fellow writer would use such a word to describe me, and am thrilled to be introducing you to some of the blogging community that has become so dear to me during this journey.
The Rules Are:
- Post the award on your blog.
- Offer thanks and a link back to the blogger who nominated you.
- Share 5 random facts about yourself.
- Nominate five other bloggers you feel deserve this award and who have less than 200 email subscribers.
- Answer the questions asked by the person nominating you and ask 5 questions of your nominees.
*Disclaimer: I do not know how many subscribers all of my blogging friends have, so I did not base my picks on this info.
My Five Random Facts:
- I played three different musical instruments while growing up: the piano, the trumpet and the guitar. The guitar still is collecting dust in my closet, as I can’t bring myself to get rid of it. I am committed to finding time to play it again, eventually.
- I have Cherokee Indian roots. My great grandmother was on the Trail of Tears from North Carolina to Oklahoma. I am proud to have this family heritage and love learning about the history behind it.
- I cannot stand white walls. My husband and I have lived in several different houses since getting married, and one of the first projects we tackled in each one was painting. I love color.
- One of the careers I considered while growing up was an Interior Decorator. I love turning a house into a home and take pleasure in creating a welcoming environment.
- I am a Southern girl, through and through. I believe hospitality should be a way of life and not just an inconvenience. My accent comes out when talking to my family. I love real BBQ, boiled peanuts, and sweet tea. Marriage may have turned me into a gypsy, but my heart belongs in the South.
Questions from Tiffany @ Simply for One:
- Why do you blog? I have been passionate about writing for as long as I can remember, but for a long time I was very resistant to the idea of blogging. However, a little over a year ago I felt God gently pushing me to share my writing with others and I knew blogging was a way I could readily take this step. I believe everyone has a story to tell, and through sharing our experiences we can encourage one another and let someone we may never meet know they are not alone. I want my readers to know that their identity is rooted in who they are in Christ, not in the shifting shadows of this world.
- Where does your inspiration for your blog posts come from? Before I write, I always try to spend time with God first. Time in his Word and time in prayer. I don’t do this perfectly, but I know that without the prompting of the Spirit my writing will fall flat. I draw a lot of inspiration from simply doing life. My experiences as a mom and the funny things my kids say. I’m constantly looking for a new angle or way to illustrate a point of view.
- Share a favorite scripture or quote that encourages/ inspires you. This is a hard one for me as I have so many. I have to say one of my favorite verses is 2 Corinthians 12:9-10. “But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.”
- What is your favorite guilty pleasure? It has to be my TV shows. I love sitting on the couch to watch some mind-numbing TV with my husband after the kids go to bed. Some of my favorites are: The Voice, Parenthood, and Top Chef.
- If you could meet one person and ask them one question, who and what would it be? If the one person can be living or dead, I would pick the apostle John, and I would ask him how he kept his eyes fixed on Jesus through all of the persecution he faced. He wrote my favorite Gospel, and the Spirit never fails to speak to me when reading his writing.
Now, for the fun part! Here are the bloggers I nominate:
- Betsy at Faith Spilling Over: I love the way Betsy brings the truth of the Word to life in an applicable, practical way. Her writing is full if great insight and wisdom.
- Brandi at Faith 2 Shine: Brandi’s writing is like putting on a warm pair of slippers by a crackling fire. She has a beautiful way with words, and her love for the Lord shines through each syllable.
- Amy at AmyDalke.com: Amy’s writing is always real and authentic. She has a great sense of humor which she always weaves into her writing, making you feel right at home.
- Meredith at MeredithBernard.com: When I first read Meredith’s writing, it was like discovering a long lost friend. I can imagine myself sitting on the couch with her over coffee and laughing over the latest stories about our kids. Her heart for her reader and most of all for God shines bright.
- Ellen at EllenChauvin.com: I love how Ellen uses nature and everyday occurrences which the typical person may overlook to illustrate her message. She always draws me into the story with the vivid picture she paints.
Dear Nominees, you are each deserving of this award, but your participation is voluntary. Should you accept the award, here are my questions for you:
- What prompted you to start writing?
- What is a secret talent you have?
- If you could visit any place in the world, where would you go?
- Did you have a childhood hero, and if so who was it?
- What is one of your favorite Bible verses or quotes?
Thank you so much staying with me on this journey, friends. This exercise certainly stretched me in new ways, and I hope you will enjoy these writers’ sites as much as I do. Happy reading!
Until next time,